By Deb Smith
As I have become more involved in advocacy for Medicaid expansion, I have become more and more aware of how many people are confused about basic information related to healthcare policy. The recent court decision has increased this confusion. So I have developed a set of bulletin inserts for the upcoming eight weeks of the Season After the Epiphany. They are designed to provide basic information and encourage discussion. In addition to being used as a bulletin insert, I think they could be printed in booklet form and distributed as a devotional guide for the season, or serve as a discussion guide for an adult Sunday school class or study group.
Each insert includes:
– A Scripture verse to meditate on that comes from the lectionary passages for that week.
– Reflection questions that will hopefully help people think about how the Scripture relates to healthcare policy.
– A “Did You Know” section that provides basic information that I think many people are confused or unaware about.
– A “Listen” section that will hopefully remind people to listen for stories that reflect the real life consequences of healthcare policy.
-An“Act” section that includes an article to read that may be a bit of a stretch for some people. In the “meat and milk” comparison it is a “meat” article. The “Act” section also suggests at least one action that can be taken.
– A “Pray” section reminds people to pray for about issues and for people.
This was designed by Deb Smith and permission is given to reproduce and modify in whatever ways are helpful.